Family & Children Services


What to do do if a child is being abused?

To report suspected child abuse or neglect, contact your county social service agency or the police. If it is an emergency, call the police at 911. In Brown County contact 507-354-8246 and ask for the social service intake worker.

Child Protection Services

Brown County Social Services takes on the role of assuring that children alleged to be abused or neglected are protected from harm and danger. Since this is a major responsibility the Family and Children's Services department takes this very seriously. They believe that the child's best interest and protection is maximized by attempting to keep the child at their own home whenever possible.

Children's Mental Health

Brown County Social Services takes on the role of assuring that children that are exhibiting emotional or behavioral problems that the parents feel are not normal are addressed in the best possible way for both the parents and the child.

Family Facilitator Program

Family facilitators work with you and your family to accomplish goals that are important to you in regard to difficulties in parenting, family changes, discipline/behavior problems at home/school/community, social/emotional issue, and communication.

Parent Support Outreach Program (PSOP)

Parenting can sometimes be a demanding job, especially for parents with young children. If you’re a parent with a child under age 10, and you are having a hard time caring for your child the way you want to, this program may be right for you.