Brown County Of Minnesota

Commitment to Excellence through Leadership, Teamwork, and Education

Children's Mental Health


Brown County Social Services takes on the role of assuring that children that are exhibiting emotional or behavioral problems that the parents feel are not normal are addressed in the best possible way for both the parents and the child.

Is Your Child Exhibiting Signs of Emotional or Behavioral Problems?

As a parent raising children can be a difficult task as it is but when dealing with children that have emotional or behavioral problems obtaining the right help can make things less difficult for themselves as well as for the child.

Most children go through periods during their growth in dealing with their home life, school and also with classmates and friends. During most of these times the parents can successfully help and support their children with any issues that do arise. The following signs though when experienced on a frequent basis are often signs where there may be reason enough to consult with your child's doctor or with a mental health professional:

  • Frequent feelings of depression, unhappiness, or despair
  • Feelings of anxiety or significant mood swings
  • Frequent periods of confusion or forgetfulness
  • Lack of interest in family, friends, or activities they used to enjoy
  • Destruction of property
  • Difficulty with concentration at school and other activities
  • Inability to create or sustain friendships with other children
  • Angry and belligerent behavior

The Diagnostic Assessment

A diagnostic assessment is defined as a written evaluation by a mental health professional that includes:

  • A child's current life situation and sources of stress, including reasons for referral.
  • The history of the child's current mental health problem or problems, including important developmental incidents, strengths, and vulnerabilities.
  • The child's diagnosis including a determination of whether the child meets the eligibility criteria listed above.
  • The mental health services needed by the child. (MN Statute 245.4871, Subd. 11)

Who Do I Call For Help?

To request an application for Children's Mental Health Case Management, call Brown County Intake at 507-354-8246. An intake screener will talk with you about your child's needs and advise you of the application process for voluntary county services.

Mobile Crisis Team

The mobile crisis team consists of two staff members who are available from 4 p.m. to 12 a.m. daily to respond to mental health crises in our community.ยท Mobile crisis interventions are face-to-face, short term mental health services to help an individual.



Resize Page

Copyright Brown County 2015:   Brown County maintains this web site to enhance public access to County information. This is a service that is continually under development and we will make every effort to keep this site current. Neither Brown County nor any of its employees, makes any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information on this web site and should not be deemed reliable for legal purposes. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this site, contact the Brown County Webmaster