Open Burning Requirements


Announcement:  As of Tuesday, March 19th, 2013 a burn permit is no longer required in Brown County for brush piles, vegetative debris, tree trimmings, clean, un-painted lumber, or running fires (ex: CRP or fence line burns). Residents still need to contact the County Sheriff’s Dispatch Office prior to burning along with the Fire Chief.

Brown County Open Burning Ordinance (Link)

Before starting a burn in Brown County:

Brown County Sheriff's Office must be contacted at (507) 233-6720.

For burns located in the following fire districts, the fire chief MUST ALSO be contacted prior to the burn:

Information to be given when you call in:

Approved Materials for Burning
Prohibited Materials for Burning (Under MS 88.171)

Information on disposal of solid waste or hazardous waste can be found in the Solid Waste/Landfill and Recycling section of the website

Other Information