Children's Mental Health

Brown County Social Services takes on the role of assuring that children that are exhibiting emotional or behavioral problems that the parents feel are not normal are addressed in the best possible way for both the parents and the child.

Is Your Child Exhibiting Signs of Emotional or Behavioral Problems?

As a parent raising children can be a difficult task as it is but when dealing with children that have emotional or behavioral problems obtaining the right help can make things less difficult for themselves as well as for the child.

Most children go through periods during their growth in dealing with their home life, school and also with classmates and friends. During most of these times the parents can successfully help and support their children with any issues that do arise. The following signs though when experienced on a frequent basis are often signs where there may be reason enough to consult with your child's doctor or with a mental health professional:

  • Frequent feelings of depression, unhappiness, or despair
  • Feelings of anxiety or significant mood swings
  • Frequent periods of confusion or forgetfulness
  • Lack of interest in family, friends, or activities they used to enjoy
  • Destruction of property
  • Difficulty with concentration at school and other activities
  • Inability to create or sustain friendships with other children
  • Angry and belligerent behavior

The Diagnostic Assessment

A diagnostic assessment is defined as a written evaluation by a mental health professional that includes:

  • A child's current life situation and sources of stress, including reasons for referral.
  • The history of the child's current mental health problem or problems, including important developmental incidents, strengths, and vulnerabilities.
  • The child's diagnosis including a determination of whether the child meets the eligibility criteria listed above.
  • The mental health services needed by the child. (MN Statute 245.4871, Subd. 11)

Who Do I Call For Help?

To request an application for Children's Mental Health Case Management, call Brown County Intake at (507) 354-8246. An intake screener will talk with you about your child's needs and advise you of the application process for voluntary county services.

Mobile Crisis Team

The mobile crisis team consists of two staff members who are available from 4 p.m. to 12 a.m. daily to respond to mental health crises in our community. Mobile crisis interventions are face-to-face, short term mental health services to help an individual.

Contact Human Services

Located at the Community Services Building in New Ulm

1117 Center Street, PO Box 788
New Ulm, MN 56073

Telephone: (507) 354-8246 or 1 (800) 450-8246

TDD Phone Number: (507) 359-6505, for the hearing impaired

Fax: (507) 359-6542

Email Human Services



Office Hours: 8am to 4:30pm
(most offices)

Main Office Phone: 507-233-6600

Courthouse Address:
14 S State St
New Ulm, MN 56073

Individual Office Hours may vary.


© 2020 Brown County, MN. All Rights Reserved.