Image of Human Services Building


 Brown County Human Services

Home Page

Online Payment

credit card icons1

forteSome Human Service fees can be made online by debit card, credit card or electronic check.

Make a Payment to Human Services using Forte Payment Systems.


Child Protection Services

Protecting Abused or Neglected Children

Brown County Human Services provides services to protect children who have experienced abuse or neglect. Services are initiated when a child protection report is made by either a mandatory or voluntary reporter. Reports are screened to determine if there is an allegation of abuse or neglect that meets criteria defined by state law or MN Child Maltreatment Screening Guidelines

A guide to help you determine when it is appropriate for children to stay home alone and provide child care for other children.

Minnesota law recognizes the importance of school attendance and requires children to attend school.  This brochure provides additional information on absences from school and when it becomes educational neglect. 

Anybody can make a report of suspected child abuse or neglect if that person has reason to believe a child has been maltreated.  The identity of a reporter is kept confidential unless ordered to be released by a court.  If a report is made between 8:00am-4:30pm Monday through Friday, a reporter should call Brown County Human Services and request to talk with the intake social worker.  If you are reporting outside of these hours, you should call the Brown County Sheriiff’s office at 507-233-6700 and they will contact the on call social worker who will contact you.

If you are a mandated reporter, you must call in the report immediately but no later than 24 hours after you become aware of the suspected maltreatment. A mandated reporter must follow up with a written report within 72 hours.

Once a report is made, it is screened by a team of child protection professionals within 24 hours. The report is screened to determine if any allegations meet criteria for possible abuse or neglect. If screened in, the report is then assessed using a family assessment or family investigation response.

Family Assessment

The majority of the reports are assessed through the family assessment process. During this assessment period, child protection professionals engage the family in a strengths-based relationship to try and resolve the presented issues. Many families are successful with this process and do not need services beyond the investigation.

Family Investigation

In some cases, a family investigation process is used. During an investigation, the child protection social worker interviews the child who is the alleged victim of the maltreatment, as well as the child’s parents, the alleged offender of the maltreatment, and other people who may have information regarding the child’s safety, such as school personnel or medical professionals.

Social workers often coordinate or team their investigation with law enforcement, which may need to be involved if there are criminal allegations in the report. The social worker assesses the child’s safety, as well as risk for the possibility of future maltreatment. When needed, the social worker and family will create a safety plan to ensure that the child is safe.

Ongoing Services

Once the assessment or investigation is completed, a determination as to the need for ongoing services is made. If a family is determined to be in need of ongoing services, a social worker works with the family to assess strengths and needs and develop a service plan to address child safety issues and other issues that impact child and family.

Child protection services are provided on a voluntary basis, without court involvement. However, if a parent or caregiver refuses to participate with services, despite the agency’s determination that services are needed to ensure child safety, a decision may be made to file a Child in Need of Protection or Services (CHIPS) petition. The CHIPS petition would seek either temporary legal custody of the child, or to have the court order the parent or caregiver to participate in services.

This form can be used as the written report required for mandated reporters or as a guide for other reporters.

Contact Us

Mailing Address:
Brown County Human Services
1117 Center Street PO Box 788
New Ulm, MN 56073

Physical Address:
Community Services Building (CSB)
1117 Center Street
New Ulm

Map & Directions

Office Hours: 8:00am to 4:30pm
Monday through Friday (excluding holidays)

Human Services Director: Anne Broskoff

Telephone: (507) 354-8246 or
1 (800) 450-8246

TDD Phone Number: (507) 359-6505, for the hearing impaired

Fax General: (507) 359-6542
Fax Financial: (507) 359-4146


Completed forms and applications may be delivered to our office in one of four ways:

  1. Dropped off at our office during open hours.
  2. Put in the drop box in our parking lot anytime. Please place in an envelope with your name and who it should go to. The box is emptied several times throughout the business day. If you need original verififications returned, please note on the document
  3. Mailed to our PO Box listed above
  4. Scanning and emailing all documents to.

Financial Woker:
Child Support Worker:
All other documents:

No English Graphic



Mission Statement

Commitment to Excellence through Leadership, Teamwork, and Education


Department Directory

Hours: 8am to 4:30pm
(most offices)

Courthouse Address:
14 S State St
New Ulm, MN 56073