Notice: The Brown County Landfill is closed today, 5-24-2024 due to weather conditions.

Manufactured Homes

A manufactured home is a structure transportable in one or more sections, is built on a permanent chassis, designed to be used as a dwelling without a permanent foundation when connected to the required utilities, and contains plumbing, heater, air conditioning, and electrical systems.

In Brown County, all manufactured homes taxed as personal property. The tax is based on the value of the home as of January 2 of each year. Manufactured homes are assessed and taxed in the same year. Tax statements are mailed by July 15 of each year.


Delinquent Taxes List (PDF)

Taxes are due in two installments:

  • 1st installment due on August 31
  • 2nd installment due on November 15
  • If the due date is on a Saturday or Sunday, the installment is due the next business day
  • If the tax is $50 or less, it must be paid in full by the first installment date
  • The owner on January 2 is responsible for payment of the entire amount of tax due that year

Manufactured homes can be homesteaded. For more information please see the Brown County Assessor Department


If you are selling your manufactured home:

  • Locate the Certificate of Title for the home.
  • Contact the Brown County Auditor-Treasurer’s office at (507) 233-6613, for a statement that all taxes are paid. There is a $5 charge for this statement.
  • Take the Certificate of Title, and statement from the county to your local License Bureau. This is the same as any other vehicle title transfer. No excise tax is collected on transfer.
  • Contact the Brown County Assessor’s office at (507) 233-6606, to inform them that you no longer own the home. If title is not transferred to the new owner, the current owner will continue to be responsible for taxes.
  • New homeowners should complete the Taxpayer Information Form and forward to the Auditor-Treasurer’s Office.

If you are moving your manufactured home:

  • All current and prior year taxes on the home must be paid.
  • Contact Brown County Auditor-Treasurer’s office at (507) 233-6613 to get a Statement that all taxes are paid. There is a $5 fee for this statement.
  • Contact the Brown County Highway Department at (507) 233-5700 to determine if you need a permit to move your home. State law allows for a fine if a permit is not obtained.

Contact Auditor-Treasurer Office


Brown County Courthouse
14 S State Street
PO Box 115
New Ulm, MN 56073-0115

Located on the 2nd floor, Rm 206
Hours: 8 am – 4:30pm Weekdays

Telephone: (507) 233-6613
Fax: (507) 359-1430

Email County Auditor-Treasurer


Telephone: (507) 233-6614

Email Brown County Elections


Mission Statement

Commitment to Excellence through Leadership, Teamwork, and Education


Department Directory

Hours: 8am to 4:30pm
(most offices)

Courthouse Address:
14 S State St
New Ulm, MN 56073