Exclamation PonitNOTICE TO BROWN COUNTY TAXPAYERS: The 2023 Property Tax Statements will be mailed on March 31, 2023.
If you are on a Quarterly Direct Pay, which would usually come out at the end of March, your first payment will be pulled on April 10, 2023.

Open Burning Requirements


  • Burn permits are no longer required in Brown County for brush piles, vegetative debris, tree trimmings, clean, un-painted lumber, or running fires (ex: CRP or fence line burns). Residents still need to contact the County Sheriff’s Dispatch Office prior to burning along with the Fire Chief. Brown County Open Burning Ordinance (Link)

Before starting a burn in Brown County:

Brown County Sheriff's Office must be contacted at (507) 233-6720.

For burns located in the following fire districts, the fire chief MUST ALSO be contacted prior to the burn:

  • Comfrey - Fire Chief Steve (Boone) Berberich (507) 877-4405 (station) or (507) 227-0479 (cell)
  • Sanborn - Fire Chief Greg Werner (507) 648-3888
  • Springfield - Fire Chief Charlie Baumann (507) 220-8566 (cell) or (507) 723-5475

Information to be given when you call in:

  • Location of the Burn (Name, Township, Section Number, and Phone Number)
  • Type of Material(s) you plan to Burn

Approved Materials for Burning

  • Brush
  • Vegetative Debris
  • Clean, NEVER BEEN Painted, NEVER BEEN Treated Wood
  • Tree Trimmings
  • Grass / Running Fires such as CRP, CREP, ditches, fence lines, etc.

For any other materials or burns please contact our MN DNR District Forestry Office at (507) 359-6048 and MPCA Solid Waste Office at (507) 206-2601.

Prohibited Materials for Burning (Under MS 88.171

  • Rubber
  • Plastics
  • Chemically Treated Materials (ex: green treated lumber, wood that has been painted or treated at any time, paper, etc.)
  • Tires
  • Railroad Ties
  • Composite Shingles
  • Tar Paper
  • Insulation
  • Building Debris
  • Composition Board
  • Sheet Rock
  • Wiring
  • Paint or Paint Filters
  • Hazardous Materials (as described in section 116.01 subdivision 11)
  • Demolition Debris
  • Industrial Solid Waste
  • Garbage (unless solid waste pickup isn’t readily available per county board resolution)

Information on disposal of solid waste or hazardous waste can be found in the Solid Waste/Landfill and Recycling section of the website

Other Information

Contact Planning & Zoning

Located on the 2nd floor of the Brown County Courthouse

14 S State St,
New Ulm, MN 56073

Telephone: (507) 233-6640
Fax: (507) 233-6643

Laine Sletta - Zoning Administrator, Solid Waste Officer

Robert Santaella - Asst. Zoning Administrator, Septic, Feedlot Officer

Allison Kletscher - Environmental Specialist

Shawn Stoermann - Emergency Manager

Amanda Lang - Feedlot Officer

Patty Zupfer - Office Support Specialist


Mission Statement

Commitment to Excellence through Leadership, Teamwork, and Education


Office Hours: 8am to 4:30pm
(most offices)

Main Office Phone: 507-233-6600

Courthouse Address:
14 S State St
New Ulm, MN 56073

Individual Office Hours may vary.


© 2023 Brown County, MN. All Rights Reserved.