Open Burning Requirements



Before starting a burn in Brown County:

Brown County Sheriff's Office must be contacted at (507) 233-6720.

For burns located in the following fire districts, the fire chief MUST ALSO be contacted prior to the burn:

Information to be given when you call in:

Approved Materials for Burning

For any other materials or burns please contact our MN DNR District Forestry Office at (507) 359-6048 and MPCA Solid Waste Office at (507) 206-2601.

Prohibited Materials for Burning (Under MS 88.171

  • Rubber
  • Plastics
  • Chemically Treated Materials (ex: green treated lumber, wood that has been painted or treated at any time, paper, etc.)
  • Tires
  • Railroad Ties
  • Composite Shingles
  • Tar Paper
  • Insulation
  • Building Debris
  • Composition Board
  • Sheet Rock
  • Wiring
  • Paint or Paint Filters
  • Hazardous Materials (as described in section 116.01 subdivision 11)
  • Demolition Debris
  • Industrial Solid Waste
  • Garbage (unless solid waste pickup isn’t readily available per county board resolution)

Information on disposal of solid waste or hazardous waste can be found in the Solid Waste/Landfill and Recycling section of the website

Other Information