Property Tax Information - FAQ

If you have a question about your payment, please contact Property Tax for the most current information at (507) 233-6613.

When will I receive my current year property tax statement?

Real Estate and Personal Property Tax statements are mailed in March each year. The statutory deadline is March 31.

Manufactured Home tax statements are scheduled to be mailed in June each year. The statutory deadline is July 15.

What if I haven't received a tax bill?

If you have not received a property tax statement by the statutory mailing deadline, it is your responsibility to contact the Auditor/Treasurer's Office to have a duplicate statement sent to you.  The County Fee Schedule requires a $5 charge for a duplicate tax statement.

How do I change my communication information with the county?

Contact the Auditor-Treasurer in writing or via email with the correct information.

Note: If you eliminate the land line in your home and exclusively use a cell phone, please provide that along with any changes to your email address.

How are my property taxes calculated?

The Auditor/Treasurer's Office computes your property taxes by multiplying the value of your property by the total tax rate of the district in which your property is located. Classification rates are set by the Minnesota State Legislature.

The value of your property is determined by the County Assessor's Office, and the classification is based on use.

Where do my property tax dollars go?

Property tax dollars are distributed to the county, school district, municipality, and other special taxing districts in which your property is located.

Can I make a partial payment on my current year taxes?

The Brown County Auditor/Treasurer's Office accepts payments of more or less than the exact amount of a tax installment due for the current year. If the accepted payment is less than the amount due, it is applied first to the penalty accrued for the year that the payment is made.

What if my property tax payment is late?

If you pay your tax after the tax due dates, a penalty will be added. The later you pay, the greater the penalty. For details, check the back of your property tax statement or refer to the schedule of penalties for late payment of property tax.

What if I become delinquent on my property taxes?

Property taxes become delinquent in the year following the payable year. Interest and penalty accrue on a monthly basis. The property is put into judgment and the forfeiture process begins.  A list of delinquent taxpayers is published in the county newspapers and appears on our web site.

What if I overpay my taxes?

Brown County has established a policy to refund overpayments in excess of $10 to the remitter’s checking account. Refunds by ACH will be credited to the payee’s account approximately ten (10) days after the original payment was posted. This allows for guarantee of available funds in the account. Taxpayers will be notified of the amount of refund prior to the ACH credit. No refunds are made if the overpayment is less than $10.

What is a Truth In Taxation (TNT) notice?

The Truth In Taxation notice (TNT), also called the Proposed Tax Notice, is mailed to property owners during November each year. This notice indicates the anticipated property tax you will pay the following year if your local jurisdictions approve the budget amounts they are considering. Property owners are invited to attend meetings held by their local jurisdictions to express their opinions on local budgets.

Can the amount of my property tax due on my tax statement be different than the amount on my proposed tax notice?

Yes, for the following reasons:

  • The proposed tax notice does not include special assessments
  • Referendums passed could result in increasing the tax amounts
  • Property owners who occupy their property by December 1 can file for homestead classification for the following year.

What is Tax Increment Tax?

A number of Tax Increment Financing (TIF) Districts have been created within Brown County. TIF is a program which allows the increased property taxes generated by a development to pay for development costs.

Tax Increment Financing is not an additional tax. Tax Increment Financing does not affect the calculation of the tax amount. Rather, it affects the distribution of tax. The tax due is calculated the same as for a property that is not in a TIF district, but money that would normally go to the County, City, school and special taxing districts is instead diverted to a TIF district.

What are Special Taxing Districts?

Special taxing districts in Brown County include the local economic development authority within the City of New Ulm.

What is a Special Assessment?

A special assessment is an improvement (such as streets, etc.) which directly benefits the property. It is shown as a separate amount on the property tax statement. The amount is based on how much the property benefits from the improvement and the cost of doing the project. It is not based on the value of the property. All homes in the county are assessed a recycling assessment of $33 for curbside pickup and $16.50 for rural homes.

What is the Senior Citizen Tax Deferral Program?

The Senior Citizen Property Tax Deferral Program was established to help senior citizens who were having difficulty paying their property taxes. This deferral program has the following two primary advantages for senior citizens:

  1. It limits the maximum amount of property tax you pay to 3 percent of your total household income, and
  2. It provides predictability. The amount of tax you pay will not change for as long as you participate in this program.

This program is managed by the Dept of Revenue and further information can be found on their website.

How can I get my tax forms sent electronically?

Upon written request by the owner of real property located in the county, or by the owner’s agent, a county may send tax statements by electronic means instead of by mail. For the purposes of the payment deadlines specified in M.S. § 279.01, the postmark date on the envelope containing these property tax statements is the date the statements were sent by electronic means.

Note: The opportunity to provide electronic tax statements does not apply to personal property.

How do I apply for the State Property Tax M1PR Refund?

If you owned and occupied this property on January 2 of this year as your homestead, you may qualify for a property tax refund. In addition, Minnesota homeowners whose property taxes increased by more than 12 percent over last year may be eligible for a special property tax refund. To determine if you are eligible for the Minnesota property tax refund and/or the special property tax refund, read the Form M-1PR Instructions and fill out the Form M-1PR.

Your state income tax booklet may contain the Form M-1PR and instructions. If not, you can download forms from the Minnesota Department of Revenue or request forms by calling the state at 651-296-4444, or by writing to Minnesota Tax Forms Mail Station 1421 St. Paul, Minnesota 55146-1421

Applicants for a property tax refund are NOT required to send a copy of their tax statement with the Form M1-PR.

Contact Auditor-Treasurer Office


Brown County Courthouse
14 S State Street
PO Box 115
New Ulm, MN 56073-0115

Located on the 2nd floor, Rm 206
Hours: 8 am – 4:30pm Weekdays

Telephone: (507) 233-6613
Fax: (507) 359-1430

Email County Auditor-Treasurer


Telephone: (507) 233-6614

Email Brown County Elections


Mission Statement

Commitment to Excellence through Leadership, Teamwork, and Education


Department Directory

Hours: 8am to 4:30pm
(most offices)

Courthouse Address:
14 S State St
New Ulm, MN 56073